- Our Products
- Fire Detectors
- Gas Detectors
- Control Panels
- Custom Gas Detectors
- Custom Systems
- About Us
- Customer Support
- Industry News
- Contact Us
Lighting struck an industrial building on Hanover Road in Meriden, Conn., causing a fire that left one firefighter hospitalized. According to the Record Journal, lighting struck the roof's fiber glass. The fire started between the building's roof and ceiling.
The building's fire alarm system alerted the fire department who then responded around 1:45 p.m. July 9. The source said smoke could be seen from Fair Weather Antiques, the building next door. Meriden Fire Chief James Trainor said he thinks the facility makes pewter.
Hanover Road was closed while firefighters fought the blaze as smoke flowed from the building's vents. The Record Journal said the fire was out about 45 minutes later. A nearby power line was cut down by Connecticut Light and Power to turn off the building's electricity. Gas was also turned off.
Officials do not believe the building is a total loss and can be repaired. As for the injured firefighter, the Record Journal said he was sent to a nearby hospital with bruises to his upper back but was able to return to work the next day.
Industrial Safety News brought to you by Safety Systems Technology, Inc., leaders in fire and gas detection systems.